Usnea Profile


Usnea spp. is a grey-green lichen composed of algae and fungus in a symbiotic relationship that grows on host trees, appearing as springy tufts or long beard-like drapes as shown in the picture below.

(Usnea Longissima draping a Douglas Fir - Photo by me)

Usnea longissima grows in abundance here in southwest Oregon for which I am very grateful, however it is very slow growing and of great importance to the environment, so we we only gather what we truly need when we are getting low.

(Selfie of me holding Usnea longissima)

(My hands holding precious Usnea longissima ~ photo by my husband Brian)

I gather it to make medicinal preparations that I do not want to be without since it can help with some pretty serious although common afflictions. I know of it working quite well for viral and bacterial infections as well as wound care. Between myself, family, friends, clients and customers, it does seem to work quite well for: colds/upper respiratory infections, flus, strep throat, cellulitis, bronchitis, sinus infections, urinary tract infections, fungal infections and insect bites. 

 Usnea is generally considered cooling, drying,  
antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, antiparastic, antiviral, astringent, styptic, tonic and vulnerary. Some also consider it to be mildly anti-inflammatory and analgesic.

 Most of the time I prepare and use it as a tincture, dual/double extraction or poultice but there are times that I prepare it solely as a decoction for internal use or external use for washing wounds or soaking the wounded area in. Less often, I use it as an infused oil or salve. 

(Starting Usnea tincture - photo by me)

I absolutely love Usnea. When it is stormy here the air can smell quite strongly of it between the rains saturating it and the winds carrying the scent. I also love the taste. Sometimes I will add a small number of Usnea tincture drops, between 1 and 5 drops usually --considered an energetic or "spirit" dose by some-- into a shot glass of water and drink it or into a glass of water that I am sipping over time because I feel that it offers benefits that are similar to that of a flower essence for me. I find that it helps me feel more anchored/grounded in the present with a feeling of lightness and a resilience to outside stressors when I am feeling too sensitive.

If you are not already familiar with Usnea, I highly encourage you to get to know it. There are many good references "out there" and I recommend that you read at least 5 difference sources. 


☾~~ Be a reflection of the Beauty and Magic of Nature ~~☽

Come follow me:


~or~

Check out my shop:

Comments