Autumn's Arrival

"Somewhere along the way, I realized that the "new year" doesn't begin for me in January. The new and fresh has always come for me in the Fall. Ironically, as leaves are falling like rain, crunching beneath my feet with finality, I am vibrating with the excitement of birth and new beginnings. My year begins in Autumn." 
~ Betsy CaƱas Garmon


(Art credit: Autumn Window by Alexander Volkov)


This year I began sensing Autumn's approach a little earlier than last year. It began with my noticing a different slant of the sun's light as it streamed in through my windows when it rose in the early morning and set in the evening.

I also noticed that some of the deciduous trees were already letting loose their golden leaves to freely twirl toward the windshield of my car as I made my way along a scenic old highway.

Next came one of my favorite things about Autumn which is that mysterious "something special" the air is infused with. Especially early in the morning. I always recognize it but can never quite find words worthy of describing it. And when I breathe it in, it stirs me to my core.

I feel an excitement about Autumn's arrival in a way that is different than any other season for me. I suspect that is because Autumn has always felt like the real beginning of the year to me. It has always been when I most strongly perceive a freshness and newness to the year. 

Autumn is when I most enjoy some of the traditions that many folks associate with January when our new calendar year begins. For me January feels too late and just out of sync with how I am feeling. A few of my main traditions for a new year are...


Buy myself a new journal. I start using it right away even if I didn't fill last year's up completely. I have a lovely leather journal cover from Oberon Designs that I buy a new book insert for each year.

★ Choosing a new word for the year which becomes a focus, a year long meditation of sorts.

★ Creating a vision board that reflects my word for the year as well as what else I would like to align with. Things I would like to invite into my life.

★ Doing a New Year reading for myself with Tarot Cards or Oracle cards. Usually a 12 card spread with each card representing each month of the year. Or a 9 card spread based on the Bagua map. 

Autumn is also when I feel that simple comforts of home and hearth become all the more sweet. I tend to burn even more candles, make more stews and soups and bake more. Not to mention there is not much in life that is more cozy to me than curling up under a soft blanket or fluffy comforter, with a cup of tea and a pager-turner of a book as the rain pitter patters upon the roof. If you have a cat or dog (or both!) to cuddle up against you all the better <3

Autumn also begins the inward half of the year for me when I am not only indoors more due to the loads of rain here in Oregon but I also spend more time reflecting on my own inner realm which my new year practices support. 


Be a Reflection of the Beauty and Magic of Nature








Comments