Back to Basics

As I alluded to in a recent post, I have decided to ease back into some of my spiritual practices that I deeply enjoy but had been taking a break from. Life was bombarding me with too much and I got to the point where I just felt like I did not have the energy to commit to them even though they have always helped me feel more grounded and peaceful in such a chaotic world. So my back to basics has been like this...

★ I have returned to working with my altar each day. Usually in the morning and often in the evening before bed as well. When I say 'working' with my altar, I am talking about light a candle and checking in with my inner landscape by way of meditation, prayer and using various personally meaningful tools for various personal reasons.




★ I have returned to practicing breathwork. I especially love a style of breathing taught to me by one of my friends and mentors, Camilla Blossom https://camillablossom.com where there is a different breath for each of the elements: earth, air, fire and water. It feels very balancing. I tend to practice this way of breathing any time that I am feeling tense and I also like to begin my meditation with it. Basically it goes like this:

Earth  = slowly inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your nose

Air  = slowly inhaling through your mouth and exhaling through your mouth

Fire = slowly inhaling through your mouth and exhaling through your nose

Water = slowly inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth


(Photo: Earthshine Photography - Tom Blessum 2010)

★ I have returned to going outside in the early morning to greet the day while my neck of the woods is still quiet other than the sounds of birds. I take a few moments to feel the earth beneath my bare feet, breathe in the fresh cool air and take in the beauty of the vibrant natural world living around me. This is when I tend to think about how I would like my day to unfold, consider what needs done and in what order I would like to do it in....

And at the end of the day I step outside to greet the evening. If it's not quiet enough for me in our neighborhood at that time I will wait until later when it is much quieter. I am always hoping for a clear night sky so I can admire the moon and stars but that is often not the case here in southwest Oregon. But regardless, I breathe in the cool night air and imagine that any stress I am holding drains out of my feet and into the earth, neutralizing it. This is also when I think about my day and what I am feeling grateful for. 

(Photo: Backs of The Wicca Deck cards Sally Morningstar)

★ I have returned to using a Gratitude jar instead of a Gratitude journal. I have a pretty little heart-shaped glass bottle with a wide mouth and cork lid where I keep little strips of paper I have written my gratitudes on. 

So far it's feeling really good to return to these daily practices. I am a much more centered and happier person when I take the time to do these things I need to for myself regardless of what is going on in my life. 


☾~✿~Be a Reflection of the Beauty and Magic of Nature~✿~☽

If you are on social media come follow me...

~or~

Check out my shop:
.

Comments