The Land of Enchantment: Part I

“There is a power that has been since all eternity and that force and potentiality is green!” ~ Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179)


Viriditas. Greenness. Freshness. Vigor. Vitality. Lushness. Growth.

German writer, composer, philosopher, Christian mystic, Benedictine abbess and visionary, Hildegard of Bingen is credited with coining the term "Viriditas" meaning "the greening power of God". She described this power as an animating life-force within all creation, giving it life, moisture and vitality. Viriditas was green fire and energy. 

I had come across the word "Viriditas" a few times before but I didn't connect with it. It didn't hold any special meaning for me or feel especially inspiring. Now I feel like my cells are buzzing with it like the vibration of a Bumble Bee inside of a flower. And oddly enough this feeling really struck me while I was visiting New Mexico. I say "oddly enough" only because I have lived on the West coast all of my life, the last 14 years of which have been in southwest Oregon where it is very lush and green year round. I am accustomed to Nature here being immense, almost looming over me at times. 


Back in June, Brian and I visited New Mexico for the first time to celebrate our 16th wedding Anniversary. We had been interested in checking out the Land of Enchantment for about 2 years and started planning our trip nearly a year ago. I immediately felt comfortable there even though it was a bit odd for me to be so far from the ocean and evergreens giants. When we reached our destination, the property of a friend of ours, it was interesting. 


It seemed as if Nature had suddenly stilled itself, held its great breath while I gently walked upon the land. It was almost eerie, not a chirp of a sound or a blur of movement. While this was occurring I felt as if Nature was perhaps observing or otherwise sensing me. Scanning all that was me, especially the inner me which can not be seen. With a palpable exhale it decided to reveal itself to me. A shiny black Raven flew low over my head with it's head tilted, eyeing me and cawing it's presence just in case I was too suburban numb to notice it. A sudden gust of wind stirred the powdery earth as if it were blown from the palm of a timeless hand with ancient breath. The Piñon Pines enchanted me with their resinous fragrance easily carried upon a breeze that lifted my hair and might or might not have whispered "Viriditas. The earth here may appear strange and barren to you yet but know that this is the land that will be the greening of you" into my ear.

It was so incredibly quiet there that the cicadas, birds and wind through the trees and grasses were loud. I could not hear people yelling, or lawn mowers mowing or cars racing by or anything else for that matter. It was just so deeply peaceful. The kind of peace I need. The kind of peace I really only experience when I am in Nature. Thank you New Mexico. We will be returning and staying longer. 

Comments