An Ounce of Prevention...

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." ~ Benjamin Franklin

 I have been experimenting more with Elderberry Syrup recipes lately. Other than proper hand washing and probiotics, I consider Elderberry syrup our most important support when it comes to preventing or shortening the duration of cold and flu viruses. 

 About 2 years ago I began making my own Elderberry for myself and my family because this time of year the four of us--myself, the Mr. and our 2 youngest sons--can go through a bottle quite fast. Plus for the price of ONE bottle of commercial syrup, I am able to make several bottles and much larger bottles too! Much better for our budget and much more inspiring for me because I have always loved working with herbs and am dedicating the rest of my life to learning as much as I can about them and working with them.
The base recipe that I have been using recently is from my teacher Rosemary Gladstar's book "Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health" (pictured above). There are MANY recipes available online and in books with varying ingredient and dosage amounts. 

Elderberries and Elderflowers have a long history of use, especially in Europe. They are used medicinally, most notably for treating cold and flu viruses.They are also appreciated for their flavor and color for making foods and beverages such as preserves, wines, teas and desserts. They contain Antioxidants, Bioflavonoids (such as Quercetin), Vitamins (especially Vitamin C), Minerals and Amino acids. They have antiviral and immune system enhancing properties among other health supporting benefits. 

I personally take 1 Tablespoon per day if I am using it preventatively when I know that I have been around someone ill or I feel like I am coming down with a virus. If I do develop symptoms I increase the dose to 3-5 times per day. I consider this dosage safe for 12 year olds through adult. Younger children would of course take a smaller dose and it is not recommended for children under 1 year of age in case of the possibility of Botulism from 
the Honey.

If you have never used Elderberry syrup I hope you will do yourself a favor and consider doing so. It's delicious and effective and effect way to help yourself and your loved ones to stay well. 

~Wishes of Wellness~

Comments