Silver Falls


Well it's nearly half past midnight and I am not tired enough to go to sleep. I think it could be because my Husband and I stood under a waterfall today!! We finally went to the state park an hour away that has 2 waterfalls. We chose the 'Silver Falls' which is a slightly shorter trail. The woods were phenomenal with a lot of old growth Trees, Moss, Ferns, Bleeding Hearts, Buttercups, Fungi and more. It was a gradual incline that meanders and suddenly you turn a corner and WOW...a bigger waterfall than we expected (150 ft). It was almost across from where we stood which we could clearly see was where the trail ends for most folks but noticed a very narrow trail more adventurous folks take. We had to try.

We both had walking sticks which was a good thing because the ground was muddy and the rocks were so slick with moss. I can not believe what we put our bodies through to get up to the Falls. Especially me, I have not intentionally pushed my body like that in so long. I have spent a good part of the last 16 years of my life trying to relieve my chronic pain, not make it worse. I almost gave up halfway because I knew I was asking too much of my body, way beyond its limits but I just had to go to that waterfall. My Husband and I both felt like it was magnet drawing us.


When we finally made it up there I told my Husband I was going in...that I did not go through all of that and darn near risk my life to not experience my first BIG waterfall I could actually get to. I took off my vest, glasses, shoes and socks and went in as much as was comfortable (the water was heavy!). It was so INCREDIBLE. There was so much water it was hard to breathe, even in the mist. When I stepped out I took my offering pouch out of my vest pocket that has a combination of Lavender buds, Rose petals, Corn Meal and small Agates and Crystals. I noticed a flat rock to the left of the water that looked like the perfect place to leave a 'thank you'. I scattered some flowers and meal and then thought a Crystal for sure. As soon as I set down the crystal the Falls poured noticeably harder. My Husband could not believe it. I was some how not surprised, I felt so connected with Nature. I am glad he noticed it and said something so it was not just myself noticing. He is really beginning to tune into Nature more which is beautiful to observe.


The way down was tough, scary and slow-going. It was so slippery I was sliding on my butt most of the time. As a result of serious use of the walking stick on the way up and then the clutching of rocks on the way down I can barely use my right arm now. BUT is was so worth it. Next time we are going in the opposite direction to the 'Golden Falls'...if its as treacherous as 'Silver' was I don't think I will do it again but we'll see what happens. 


My Husband forgot the camera which bummed us out at first but then sometimes to not look through a lens and just 'be' in the presence is very special. The camera could not have picked up the tremendous essence of it any way.


If anyone reading this has never stood beneath a waterfall, I deeply hope that you get an opportunity to. Its hard to explain how good it felt to me. I guess I will say that it felt like it washed every cell of my being with its cool, clear water. I wish I could go do it again tomorrow.

Comments